Thursday, October 4, 2012

French Onion Beef Sliders.

I can not express in words how much I love my crock pot.


There is nothing better then coming home from work and having dinner already made. If you think you lack cooking abilities or are too lazy to cook, buy a crock pot. It's almost too easy to make a delicious meal. Tuesday night was a casual night at home, aside from our toilet overflowing and not having a functional bathroom, full of all the new fall Fox shows. Do you watch New Girl? I can't get enough of it. Oh and Ben and Kate? I almost peed myself I was laughing so hard. 

So I have found a billion and 1 recipes on Pinterest for the crock pot and I really want to try a few but they have WAY too many ingredients. I'm on a budget= simple recipes. I decided to pick one that sounded good and condense the ingredients list a bit. I also changed the recipe from a stew to sliders, they sounded better.


French Onion Beef Sliders

What you need:
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tsp leaves
- 1 can low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-in pieces
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Bread for sandwiches (optional)
- Swiss cheese or Gruyere slices

Lay the fresh thyme at the bottom of the crock pot. Add chicken broth, carrots, and onions and mix to combine. Season the beef with salt and pepper and then sprinkle with flour. Add the beef and any excess flour to the slow cooker and mix to combine. Cook covered for about 7 to 8 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high. Uncover and use a fork to shred beef, it should be very tender and easy to separate  Cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes on low. Prepare sandwiches topped with cheese and serve. 

***If I made this again I would use half a can of broth and add potatoes.***






I served the sandwiches with Cucumber Salad.


This meal makes for great leftovers!!