Thursday, October 11, 2012

Breakfast for Dinner.

I guess I am not really sure who to give credit for this.


Yes, it was Brian's idea to have breakfast for dinner, yes it was Carly's idea to use this recipe, no it was neither of there recipes. After listening to two fair arguments, I have finally come to a decision, the credit goes to the actual inventor of this recipe, PaleOmg. Have you read her blog? She is hilarious! When I typed out this recipe I realized there are a lot of steps, I promise it's easier then it looks. 



Breakfast Lasagna 

What you need:
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage (or breakfast sausage)
- 1 container of sliced mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thin
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a large skillet over medium heat and cook sausage for 10-12 minutes. In another skillet over medium heat, place oil and onions. Salt and pepper the onions while they cook. Cook for about 8-10 minutes, and mushrooms and cover. Cook for an additional 5-6 minutes. Thinly slice sweet potato with a sharp knife and layer the bottom of a 8 x 8 glass baking dish. In a bowl, mix coconut milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Begin to layer the dish in this order: potatoes, onion/mushroom mix, meat, until you run out of ingredients. Once finished, pour mixture over the lasagna. Salt and pepper the top, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 30-35 minutes. When done, let cool for 10 minutes. While the lasagna cools, heat a skillet over medium heat and add whisked eggs to make scrambled eggs. Top dish and cut/scoop to serve. 

*** I used fresh sausages and peeled the casing off of the sausage in order make it crumble easier***







Carly made Brussels sprouts and bacon for side dishes!





So I have to admit, this week has been pretty boring on the home front. A lot of relaxing and eating has consumed the precious few hours I enjoy after work. This weekend, things will change. It is homecoming weekend for St. Thomas! I haven't been back to campus in a while and I'm excited to judge freshman girls and return to my previous home as an alumna. I will take lots of pictures for you non UST'ers because of the campus' incredible beauty. It is truly my favorite place to be. Check out this picture that was taken from a helicopter above campus. 


Isn't it pretty?