Friday, October 12, 2012

Coconut Chicken and Vegetables.

Warning: Another crock pot recipe.

From now on, I think I am going to use my crock pot at least once a week. Its just so darn easy to make delicious meals with little to no work. Now I sound like an infomercial, potential future career? I think this dish was a little bit of a treat in my house because I NEVER make rice. Now that I think about it, this may be the first time I have ever made rice myself. Good thing for my handy dandy rice cooker. If you are thinking it, the answer is yes, I own a rice cooker but have never made rice before. You always have to be prepared! AND I have tons of cabinet space if anyone needs to get rid of a few kitchen appliances ;).


Coconut Chicken and Vegetables

What you need:
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 2 inch cube of ginger, roughly chopped
-1 small sweet yellow onion, peeled, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 1 can of baby corn cobs, slice in half
- 1 cup peas or frozen vegetables of your choice
For the spice blend:
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I used chili powder, cumin is an ingredient in chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (I used whole)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric (I omitted)
- 1 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients for the spice blend and set aside. In a food processor, combine garlic, ginger, and onion and pulse until it becomes a paste. In a large skillet heat olive oil and butter. Add pureed garlic mixture and cook for a few minutes. Add spice blend and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Move to one side and add chicken into skillet. Cook slightly on all sides and coat with spice mixture. Transfer to crock pot and add coconut milk. Add corn cobs and cook on low for 4 hours. After 4 hours, add frozen vegetables and cook for another half hour. Serve over rice. 



The aroma of these two combinations are sure to make anyone in your house instantly want to try this meal. 

No, that is not 2 1/2 pounds of chicken, but when I added all the chicken it looked like a big mess so I decided to spare you.





The white chunks are not all chicken, they are also water chestnuts. Damian thought they looked like shrimp, which would be very tasty in this meal! Also, I sipped on this beer for dessert... it was yummy and tasted just like banana bread!