Thursday, December 20, 2012

Tilapia with Capers and Tomatoes.

What makes this sauce so great? Butter.

I really like the food I make but I rarely impress myself. After the first few bites I declared that I would order this dish at a restaurant, it's that good. The fish was cooked with a perfect flaky texture and the sauce was to die for. Damian actually asked what was in it and surprised when I responded with butter. When making an amazing dish, sometimes you have to ditch everything that's "low fat" and use the real thing. The rest of the dish uses great ingredients to make up for it. If you don't like the kick, stay away from the red pepper flakes, but I think it makes a great combination with the tart capers. 

There is supposed to be another snow storm hitting the Midwest this weekend, thankfully the radar looks as if it will be south of here. I don't think the twin cities are ready yet for another blizzard. 

Tilapia with Capers and Tomatoes

What you need:
- 4 Tilapia fillets
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons capers

In a nonstick skillet, bring 1/3 cup water to a boil. Add tomatoes and red pepper flakes. Top with tilapia, and season with salt and pepper. cover and cook for 3 minutes. Flip tilapia fillets and cook covered for an additional 2 minutes. Transfer tilapia to a separate plate. Turn off heat, add butter, lemon juice, and capers to the skillet. Stir until butter is melted. Season with salt and pepper and serve over tilapia. 
Lightly adapted from Martha Stewart




Christmas Blogging Challenge Day 20:

Favorite Christmas Meal? My favorite Christmas meal is turkey. We do a similar thanksgiving meal again on Christmas and I love it because its not too often that I make that meal.