Thursday, November 29, 2012

Venison Roast.

Big News!

I'm really exciting to reveal something that you may or may not have noticed. Yesterday, I officially purchased my own domain. This means no more- Notyouraveragefoodieblog.blogspot.com, just Notyouraveragefoodie.com. I was getting really sick of having that long name and I know it was confusing for readers. I didn't exactly know what it took to own your own domain, but it was a lot easier then I was expecting. All of my previous links and my previous website title will redirect you to the new domain.  I guess this means I am making a commitment to this thing, I never would have thought I would love it as much as I do

Lets talk about venison. I have only had venison a few times, mostly in the form of jerky or sticks. One of my uncles is a huge hunter and I noticed there was a lot of meat in his freezer. Being the foodie I am, quickly realized how easy it would be to make it in the crock pot and asked to take some home. He packed up seven pieces and suggested adding carrots and potatoes to the recipe. I wont lie, the meat was a bit tough, but nothing that I wasn't expecting after warnings from my mom. I know everyone is afraid of the B word (butter) but its without a doubt needed for this recipe, how do you think I keep my girlish figure? There is little to no fat on venison meat, therefore the butter will help it stay moist. If you know of a substitute to soften the meat, let me know. Luckily my dinner guests, Caitlin and Jordan (<<<woah, first time blog mention!) told me it was delicious. Whether or not they actually thought that, I'll take a little ego boost once in a while. 




Venison Roast with Red Potatoes and Carrots

What you need:
- 1 venison roast (or multiple pieces)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken/beef/vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon thyme
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 5-7 small red potatoes
- 1 Cup chopped carrots

Place roast in crock pot and add stock. Add butter on top of roast and top with onions and spices. Place carrots and potatoes on top and cook in crock pot on low for 10 hours or high for 6 hours. 






She's way too happy to be doing dishes.


Silly boys...


After dinner we headed over to Ryan's pub in the downtown/Loring Park area to play sassy lassy trivia. Almost instantaneously we decided this would become some sort of tradition. Ryan's pub is located in a great location and it was somewhat comforting to be the only non-regulars playing trivia. Because all of the other teams were familiar with each other, the atmosphere was light and humorous. We placed 4th (I'm not going to mention how many teams played but we weren't last!) and won a free drink ticket, and thanks to my loving friends paid for that Bloody Mary below. Double date nights are so fun!


I can never pass up the opportunity to have a Bloody Mary.
 The tables were covered in chalk board paint so we could draw on them during breaks.