Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cheese Manicotti.

It's Italian week in my house!

For some reason all of the recipes I chose this week are Italian. Maybe it was because of the american food overload that is about to come this weekend. I've never made manicotti before and I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the result. The taste was great but they have the appearance of enchiladas. I'm not sure why they became so flat but practice makes perfect. Surprisingly enough, the pictures came out somewhat decent for once. Tonight Carly and I are making a thanksgiving pie.. I'm pretty excited because I don't really bake, ever. We will see how it turns out!


Cheese Manicotti

What you need:
Filling ingredients (Place inside a gallon size freezer bag)
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Remaining ingredients
- 1 8oz package manicotti 
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Jar of favorite marinara sauce (if you have your own, even better!)

Combine filling ingredients and gently knead until througouly mixed. Clip a small corner, about 1/2", of the bag and proceed to fill manicotti according to desired tray size. Spread about 1/2 cup sauce in pan. Pipe all cheese into both trays. Pour remaining sauce on top. Top with the remaining shredded cheese. Cover shells completely with sauce. Bake covered at 375 for one hour until shells are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Lightly adapted from Mom on a Mission




I served the pasta with a caprese salad. I added some balsamic vinegar and sun dried tomatoes to the traditional staple. If you are a caprese lover you may be wondering where the basil is. The mozzarella on the bottom is stuffed with basil and prosciutto.