Friday, September 28, 2012

BLT's with Caramelized Onions

Ever plan on making a meal, get home, and realize that you are missing a major ingredient?


So I was planning on making these BLT's with the bacon we had in the freezer. I started cooking and chopping up the indgredients to form the sandwich and I realized I didn't have lettuce. Who makes a BLT without one of the only three ingredients in the name? Apparently, I do. I guess the sandwiches were BOT's. That really does not sounds as good... I am still adjusting to my new kitchen (that I absolutely love) and I am having some difficulties with the smoke alarms. Lets just say, I had the smoke alarm from the unit above us going off! YEAH, we are wonderful neighbors. It was a kitchen disaster but the food turned out well and I tried to take pictures through all of the smoke, so forgive me if they are terrible.  Oh, and I want to make a special shout out to my Mom, her birthday was on Thursday, Happy Birthday Mom!





BLT's with Caramelized Onion's BOT's

What you need:
- 1 lb bacon (I baked it! Recipe to come)
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 3 pieces of lettuce, broken into pieces 
- 2 sweet yellow onions, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Bread of choice

In a large skillet, heat olive oil and saute onions for 20-30 minutes. When onions become soft and crunchy add balsamic vinegar and saute for another 2-3 minutes. In a separate pan cook bacon according to directions. Toast bread of choice and comprise sandwich with bacon, lettuce (if you have it!), tomatoes, and onions.


*** I baked the bacon instead of making it in a skillet to help reduce fat content***




The balsamic vinegar in the onions gave the sandwich a great flavor, so much so that neither of us put mayo on it!


I served these with some roasted zucchini and carrots. Since I would not dare to leave you with just a recipe for BLT's, this is a great way to roast veggies with little work on your part.

Roasted Zucchini and Carrots

What you need:
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 small zucchini
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- salt and pepper
- your choice of seasoning, Choose from: Paprika, cumin, cayenne, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, sage, or a premixed spice blend. (I used cayenne and garlic powder)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut your vegetables into sticks, making sure they are even in thickness. Line a baking tray with baking paper or aluminum foil and a light layer of olive oil (1/2 Tablespoon). Season veggies with the rest of the olive oil and herbs/spices. Place the veggies on the lined tray and roast, tossing halfway through for about 20 minutes. 




Sorry for the super dark photos- we were really rushed out of the door for an event! 

Stay tuned for how I made my bacon a healthier option!