Sunday, September 30, 2012

Bacon.

Were you enticed to read this post because of the title? Good then I did my job correctly.


C'mon who does not love bacon? Aside from vegetarians not many people. There is no way I can sit here and tell you how to make bacon healthy. If you want to lie to yourself, go ahead, I do it all the time. If you want to reduce the amount of grease on the bacon, this is the way to do it. I wont tell anyone if you decide to make the bacon, just invite me over and we can call it a wash.


Don't burn your bacon again, Bacon!

What you need:
- 1 lb package of bacon
- Shallow baking sheet
- aluminum foil and paper towels
- wire rack for pan (optional- to decrease the grease content)

Don't preheat the oven!! You want the oven to be cold when you put it in (It helps with the crispiness and the bacon won't shrivel). Line a baking sheet with foil and a set a wire rack on the pan so the bacon does not sit in the fat. Place bacon slices in a single layer on the rack, and bake at 400 degrees for 17-20 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and transfer bacon to another pan or dish with lined paper towels to absorb any remaining fat.


Before

After

It's funny that I called this don't burn your bacon again, bacon, because I set off so many fire alarms with this recipe! I briefly mentioned this in my BLT recipe post, but here is the full story. My new stove/oven has a vent that lets out heat and smoke as I cook things which causes my entire apartment to fill with smoke. We have 5, yes 5, smoke alarms in our two bedroom apartment, which all went off at the same time. As Damian faned them off and opened windows, we could actually hear a beeping from the apartment above us. So I guess I have hit my record of setting off smoke  alarms, that record being 6. I dare you to beat that, actually I take that back I don't want to be responsible for your house catching on fire.