Thursday, January 10, 2013

Spicy Pork Burgers.

What the heck is Ro*Tel?

Before I found this recipe I had no idea what Ro*Tel was. It is basically a can of diced tomatoes mixed with green chiles. It really flavored the ground pork well. One of my favorite meals is a ginger pork burger made by Damian's parents. This burger puts up some serious competition. It even is made with a similar spicy aioli. 

This week has been nuts! I am finally settling into the new job and it is such a huge learning experience. I never thought I would be in the finance industry again but it is similar to "riding a bike", i'm easing back into it. It is so fast paced and my days fly by. I think I am really going to enjoy this opportunity. 

Spicy Pork Burgers

What you need:
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 can Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles, mild
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 4 buns 
- lettuce (optional)

Open can of Ro*Tel and drain all liquid. Scoop out 1/4 cup of the tomato/chilies mixture and set aside. In a large bowl combine pork with remaining Ro*Tel, and 1/2 cup cheese. Form the mixture into 4 equal patties. If desired, add hot sauce to taste. Season each pork burger liberally with salt, pepper, and bit of garlic powder. Heat a grill pan or large skillet to medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When the oil is hot, add burgers and cook for 5-6 minutes, then flip and cook 5-6 minutes more until burgers are cooked through. Toast the buns, if desired. In a small bowl combine reserved 1/4 cup Ro*Tel with 1/4 cup mayo. Divide the mayo mixture among the 4 buns. Place a pork burger on each bun, add lettuce if desired, and serve.
***Lightly adapted from centercutcook***




I served these burgers with a side of onion garlic baked red potatoes (recipe to come).