Thursday, January 24, 2013

Rice Cooker Mac and Cheese.

Adult food.

"Adult mac and cheese" is such a weird concept. Who said Mac and Cheese had to only be for children and southern comfort food? I have to admit that I am not a big fan of boxes mac and cheese but this stuff is the real deal. I found this recipe in Wolfgang Puck's, Make It Easy, book. He's one of my favorite chefs and I cant wait to tackle more recipes of his. This recipe really caught my eye because it called for a rice cooker. I inherited my rice cooker from someone who lived in an apartment before me and it took almost an entire year to put it to use. I am sure you can make this in the oven too if you don't have a rice cooker but I can't promise the same results. 

Rice Cooker Mac and Cheese

What you need:
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb fresh wild mushrooms, cut in thick slices (I used regular mushrooms)
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper for tase

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the shallots. Cook, stirring, until tender, about three minutes, and add the garlic. Stir together for a minute and add the fresh mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Raise the heat to medium high and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are moist and have begun to soften, about five minutes. Remove from heat. Place the macaroni, stock, salt and a little pepper into the rice cooker. Secure the lid and press cook. Cook until the rice cooker switches to keep warm, about 15 minutes. remove the lid and add the cooked mushrooms, the milk, and cheese. Stir together and secure lid, press cook, and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from rice cooker and serve. 

I served the mac and cheese with a side of spinach and tomato salad.