Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Sandwich Replacements.

Here's a recipe if you want to switch up your meals from plain or boring sandwiches.


Holy smokes its August already! Am I the only one feeling like this summer is flying by? So I am making an actual effort to slowly cut some of my bread intake out of my diet. It is difficult really difficult. I grew up eating fresh breads, usually baked the same day, and ate it with everything. I would take a french baguette over cake ANY DAY. But an excess of carbs is not what i need and often makes me feel tired and groggy. I went on a search for recipes that would be good lunches and came across a recipe that I had to try, Mini Roasted Tomato Cups with avocado, white bean, and tuna mash. A mouthful isn't it? This is one of those recipes that when you make the dish it looks really hard but the truth is, its not. Show these off and people might think your amazing in the kitchen... 




Mini Roasted Tomato Cups with Avocado, White Bean, and Tuna Mash

What you need:
- 8 small to medium tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 ounces white chunk or albacore tuna, canned (I used one can)
- 1/3 cup cooked cannellini beans
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 2 ounces white cheddar cheese (I used shredded cheese I had in the house)
- 3 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs



Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Using a knife or spoon, gently scoop out the seeds and flesh of the tomato. Discard. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over tomatoes, then 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Roast for 12-15 minutes, just until tomatoes are juicy and soft. Don’t over-roast here because the “cups” will collapse and be unstuffable. While tomatoes are roasting, add tuna, white beans and avocado to a large bowl. Mash with a fork until your desired consistency is reached, then add in remaining olive oil, salt and pepper, along with basil. Mash and mix well.Remove tomatoes and gently spoon a teaspoon or 2 of tuna mixture into the tomato cups. Cover with a sprinkling of cheese and panko, then bake for another 5-8 minutes until cheese is melted and tuna is warm. 
***I would suggest smashing up the beans first and then adding the other ingredients because I thought they were tough to smash with a fork***







OK I may have had a few slices of bread on the side... I said slow!

Enough with the pictures of tomatoes, onto some other news!

Damian and I went to Ikea this past weekend to go furniture shopping. I'm moving at the end of the month and need to transition from a college futon to a real couch. We picked out the one we liked and also picked up this chair with the matching footstool while we were there. What do you think? 

Time is ticking on this moving process and I'm starting to get nervous. I have a feeling I have a lot more stuff then I think... But I did rent a moving truck yesterday, so that's a good start! 
Anyone have big plans for august?