Monday, August 20, 2012

(Paleo) Korean Ribs

I'm not kidding this time, these ribs are amazing. 


Carly came over for dinner on Saturday night, and in lieu of her new eating habits, I made ribs! I realized while making these, I had never made ribs before. Now I wonder, why the heck not? These babies were easy, I know say that a lot but I don't like putting a ton of effort into cooking! Do you have a crock pot? If the answer is yes, then you can make these. And well, if the answer is no, then you can also make these. Let's just say I started with one method and switched halfway through. 


Korean Ribs in the Crock Pot

What you need:
- 4 lbs of ribs (any cut works)
- 1 cup of brown sugar, firmly packed 
- 1 cup gluten free soy sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- 5 whole jalapeno peppers

In a 6-quart or larger slow cooker, put the ribs in the pot. Add the brown sugar, soy sauce, water, and whole jalapenos (leave them whole!). Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, flipping once. If you're our of the house all day, flip them when your home and let them cook for a few extra minutes.

*** Variations I made: I used 2 1/2 Tablespoons of honey instead of brown sugar, in order to make the dish paleo. I took the ribs out of the crock pot after 4 hours (my crock pot was too small), transferred them into a pan, and cooked them at 350 degrees for the remaining four hours). ***


Attempt one: In the crock pot!


Attempt two: out of the crock pot!




We also took another stab at those grilled zucchini from last week! So delicious!




Carly brought some veggies and sweet potato brownies-- yum!

After dinner we headed out for Brit's last night on the town before study abroad!


Moving Update

Last week, Caitlin, Zach, and Dan helped me pack up my entire kitchen at the apartment. It was so much more work then expected. Looks like ALL cooking will be done at Damian's until we move! This week... we're going to attempt my closet! Wish us luck.