Thursday, August 16, 2012

My First Try at Paleo Cooking.

Last night was my first try at Paleo cooking, and I think I nailed it! 


Carly and I were reunited after not seeing each other for almost three months, wow I can't believe it was that long. While she spent her summer in Chicago, she started eating Paleo, which is basically a guide to eating a "hunter-gatherer" diet. To summarize it,  

"All you need to do is remember this mantra: MEATS AND VEGETABLES, NUTS AND SEEDS, SOME FRUIT, A LITTLE STARCH AND NO SUGAR!"
The website I attached above is a good description of what it means to eat Paleo and mentions the same reactions that Carly had to the change in diet. 
"By doing so, the argument is that our bodies begin to run in a best state. Anecdotally (and scientifically), reports are all saying the same thing about this type of diet – that multitudes of health problems go away, digestion operates efficiently, migraines go away, excess weight is lost, sleep disruption and anxiety problems decline and energy levels become optimum".
So I did my research and Paleo is exactly what we had for dinner. Honestly, Paleo or not, this recipe was awesome! I can't take all the credit for it- I found it on PaleOMG (which i admit to reading almost daily, shes so funny!). 


Don't they look messy? Ok, I get it, they are not the pretties things in the world...

Curried Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes

What you need:
- 1lb bulk Italian Sausage (I used spicy Italian pork sausage from whole foods, yum!)
- 3-4 sweet potatoes (try to buy them rounder/fatter so they are easier to restuff)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- teaspoon ground cloves
- teaspoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 Degrees. Cut your sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, place open side down on a cookie sheet and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until you press on the skin of the sweet potato and it "gives" a bit. While the sweet potatoes bake, pull out a large skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add oil, when heated, add your onions. When the onions begin to sweat, add your Italian sausage. Break up your sausage with a wooden spoon and let cook down. Once your sweet potatoes are done cooking, pull them out and let cool for a few minutes.  Use a spoon and carefully scoop out the insides and place in large bowl. When your Italian sausage is cooked through, add it directly to the bowl with the sweet potatoes. Add your spices to the mixture and combine. Restuff your potato skins with the mixture and broil for 3-5 minutes or until browned on top. 

***The sweet potatoes I purchased were very difficult to cut, so I cooked them whole for a few minutes in order to be able to slice them in half easier. ***








Carly made bacon wrapped Brussel Sprouts!




Don't judge my photos- I was starving.