Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sausage and Pepper Sandwich.

The power of sunshine. 

The photos in this post came out so great because it was sunny out. This is one of the million reasons that I love spring and fall. I have been pretty sick this past week and actually ended up staying home on monday. I was able to get a bunch of rest to help me get through the remaining work days. I also got a few things done around the house. I swear, I am the most productive sick person ever. Not only was I able to clean the whole house but I did a bunch of meal prep,  including preparing this meal early enough to catch the sunlight. 

When I was younger, growing up in Nyc, there were always a lot of street fairs. They were so much fun, had great food, and always had fun games to play. This is where I found my love for Sausage and Pepper sandwiches and zepoles (fried dough with powdered sugar). These sandwiches are super simple and even delicious without the bread. They also make GREAT leftovers!

Hope you have a great easter weekend :)

Sausage and pepper Sandwich

What you need:
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- bread slices, toasted

In a large skillet over medium heat, brown sausage, about 5-6 minutes turning occasionally. Add garlic, onions, and peppers. Cook, mixing occasionally, until golden brown and soft, about 3 minutes. Combine with remaining spices and serve over toasted bread.