Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Feeling like mexican?

Want to make something Mexican but don't want plain old tacos?


Then I have the recipe for you... 


Lately I have had a lot of Italian food so I decided that needed to change. I went to an all day Honeywell training for work and I would lie if I said my mind didn't wonder off a few times in the afternoon. I planned out my whole meal in my head and was eager to get to the store for the missing ingredients. We had chicken fajitas and homemade salsa!



These recipes are pretty easy but they do take a little prep time. If you are going to make them together, I suggest doing the salsa first so it can sit and marinate for a while. I made a double batch of both recipes so there would be lots of leftovers!

What you need:
-3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 Tb onion powder
- 1/2 Tb salt and pepper
- 1/2 Tb jalapeno powder ( you can also use fresh jalapenos or red pepper flakes)
-1/2 Tb garlic powder
- 1/2 Tb oregano




Chop the tomatoes into cubes and add spices.. Yep thats it!



For the Fajitas: 


What you need:
-1 Lb of chicken, sliced in small strips
-1 onion, sliced into rings
- 1 bell pepper (color of choice)
-2 Tb olive oil, divided

-2 Tbsp chili powder
-1 Tbsp salt
-1 Tbsp paprika
-1 Tbsp sugar
-½ tsp garlic powder
-½ tsp cumin
-½ tsp cayenne
-¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 flour Tortillas

Heat 1 Tb of olive oil in skillet on medium heat. Add strips of chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken from skillet and warm remaining 1 Tb of olive oil. Place onions and peppers into skillet and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Put the chicken back into the skillet, add water and spices and cook for an additional 4-6 minutes. Add mixture into tortilla and serve. 


Damian helped me chop the veggies!


We warmed up both corn and flour tortillas


We served a little store bought guac and chips with the meal for a wonderful Mexican fiesta!